The constitutional provision that guarantees Freedom of expression in Canada is section 2(b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: … (b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication.
Found the following at CBC.ca
Theatre chill over staging controversial productions
Last week the award-winning Canadian playwright Michael Healey ended an 11 year partnership with Tarragon Theatre in Toronto. His resignation comes after the company declined to produce his new play. It revolves around a character named Prime Minister. The decision has the artistic community buzzing about a political chill.
Playwright Michael Healey, wrote the satire about the prime minister. Related Links:
- Playwright Michael Healey leaves Tarragon after play involving PM is nixed By: James Adams – Globe and Mail
- The government is watching…Toronto theatre By: Joshua Errett – Now Toronto Magazine
- Why Stephen Harper Will Continue to Attack the Arts By: Michael Wheeler – Praxis Theatre.com
- Heritage department will tighten belt to preserve arts funding, Moore says By: Elizabeth Thompson – iPolitics